the yoga of small business

Yoga is all about being unattached to results. We do our duty, that’s it. If we’re truly connected, then we are at peace no matter what happens, no matter how many people come to our class, or whether our business fails or succeeds... Then why am I always such a mess?

Thursday, September 9, 2010

single again

I know I've been gone awhile. There are a few reasons why, but the big one lately is that I got all caught up in a fast and, as it seemed to me at the time, intense romance. It ended last night, so I'm back to my friend the blog for some processing and solace. Like a good friend, you are always ready to take me back when I'm ready.

It was a very sad night for me. Over dinner, a conversation was started (by me, I suppose) about the relationship and it became obvious that although we were both having a lot of fun, we had completely different ideas about what the relationship meant and where it was going. I was consciously working hard to open up to him, to be available, and it was real work. I needed ground to feel safe, and it became clear in that conversation he was unable to give it. The only thing I knew to do was to leave, so I gathered my things and went home. 

In my practice, I keep coming back to all the different ways we get our hearts open. We get flexible in the spine. We release tension from the shoulders, but most of all we find ground. The common instruction is "root down through your legs." We engage our quadriceps and make sure our feet are lined up with the shin bones which are lined up with our knees and our femurs which come right out of the hip socket exactly parallel with each other. From that foundation, with all that support, we lift up, we allow ourselves to open. Without that, we can still bend our backs, but the quality and integrity of the backbend are compromised. We injure ourselves. It's not safe to really open unless we're fully grounded.

That's my experience, anyway. I was looking for ground, and I didn't get it, so I walked away.

Now how do I deal with the pain in a way that opens me up instead of shutting me down?

I'm trying really, really hard not to slip into blame. Blame feels like an avoidance technique. Did he do something wrong? He was never dishonest. He never intentionally hurt me. He's just not available in the way that I need a partner to be available. Is that his fault? No matter how I turn it in my mind, I can't see him as being wrong. He's not right either. He just is who he is, and I am who I am, and we don't seem to be able to meet each other on this one. 

So I get to own my pain. It's mine. That's really good news. I'm not a victim, and I get to choose differently next time. I know now a little more what I need and what I'm looking for. I'm better at talking about it and asking and finding out if the person I'm with is willing and able to give it to me. And I got to practice saying no and making clear boundaries when I realized my needs weren't going to get met. I got to practice leaving because it was the right thing to do even though it made me so, so sad.

And now I get to practice being sad. I get to care for myself and experience it. The fruits of that will be that I will understand you when you are sad. I will be able to be compassionate to people who are disappointed and heart broken because I let myself go through that too. I will know more what it's like.

Last night I came home and in the midst of a storm, in the midst of strong emotional pain and tears and disappointment, I got to experience being exquisitely okay. I was okay last night, and I still am today. Where did that come from? When did I learn that I can live with my emotions and my disappointments without running away? When did I get to feel this center of me that knew I was safe, that new loves would come (or not), but that either way I was okay? Not I will be okay, or it will work out, as we love to tell each other when we're hurt, but that right there in that very instant, I was doing just fine. Where did that come from? It's brand fucking new, I tell you. I'm so happy I got to see it. I'm glad to know it's there because things do get harder than this. Much, much harder. I know now that it will be there for me then, too.

So that's it. I'm single again. It was a fun month with this man, who I continue to adore. Mostly. I do have pangs of anger and self-righteousness because I'm human and hurt and that's what we do. But I don't regret spending the time with him. And I definitely don't regret leaving. Now it's time to care for myself and my business and my dog and cat and garden, all of which have gotten a little taste of neglect over the last couple of weeks. Back to real life.

7 comments:

  1. I feel you! It sounds like you are way ahead of most people, even on day one of the break-up. My new role in the last few months, after my own break/healing, has been to help others go through break-ups. I'm on text/call duty 24-7 and it feels good to be able to help. Good luck. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great entry. I recently had a hard situation to face (was second choice for a job I really wanted), and have been dealing with similar feelings. The part that really resonates with me is the part about taking care of yourself during sad times. This is something I tend to forget, and find myself dealing with my feelings by eating crappy food, watching crappy TV, and drinking. This is a great reminder to take a long walk, do some yoga, and treat myself to some really healthy food. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, you are so wise and brave and I have lots of compassion and empathy for you and the way you're feeling right now. We've all been there. I'm proud of you for opening yourself to this experience and being so true to yourself and your needs that you could walk away and still, even though it's hard, know that you're OK. You are growing and getting stronger all the time! I too am here for listening and support whenever you need it. Lots of love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you get to be so...smart?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. katy, you're a great writer! just think: more time for yourself, your home, and your open heart!
    ~adriana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. More lessons in life. Thank you Katy for being so open. N x

    ReplyDelete

Followers